Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

The Creative Process : Leading up to a Show

Aaaack!  I've done it again!  It's not that I haven't thought about it, but the past few months, any time not spent in the studio has been guilt-ridden time!  Horrible from the marketing perspective, but really, who has time for all of this blog business when you're trying to get ready for a show?!?  And by show, I mean my first solo exhibition!  Super exciting!

Quirk Gallery is currently hosting an exhibition of my new work, right now through April 26.  So if you're in the Richmond, VA area, please stop by and check it out! 

 
SeaPod Wall Piece
photo by Linda Grimes
 
So yeah, it was pretty exciting to see it all up and installed!  With my name and everything!
 
 

 
Invitation Postcard
photo by Lauren Carroll
 
 
But let's go back for a moment, shall we?  It was last April that I planned this exhibition with Quirk.  A whole year.  So about July, I thought, "I have plenty of time, but maybe I'll start working on a piece before the move."
 

And that was as far as I got before having to pack up the whole studio and move to Winston-Salem in August.  Then I didn't touch it again until January.  So sad.  This piece did eventually come together... though I will admit, just a couple of weeks before my show deadline.



Apparently that's how I work best, because pretty much everything for the show came together in those last few weeks.  A few pieces in the last few days.  I don't know why I do this to myself.  I decided a week out from the deadline that I needed one more large neckpiece, and I did manage to finish it.  I had to leave on Wednesday morning, and literally finished the last piece about 7:00pm on Tuesday.  Geez. 
 
A friend of mine posted this to her facebook page when I was about 2 weeks from D-day. 
 
 
So true.  I guess we all do it.  Something about that last minute pressure.  Maybe it's just that you have no choice.  The last couple of weeks I was working all day in the studio, I'd have dinner with Mark, and then go back to the studio.  It felt like college.  But without the 1am trips to the bar.  Don't think I didn't think about it though...
 
 
Coming soon (I promise!) : lovely photos of show pieces taken by my lovely and talented friend Lauren Carroll and some shots show installation at Quirk!  Plese check back soon.  I swear it won't be another four months...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment