Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Disc Earrings Du Jour

Alrighty, I just finished a 5-hour enameling session, and I feel pretty good about the work I got done today.  Friday after my posting, I ended up cutting out more discs for more earrings, so I didn't get as many enameled that afternoon as I had planned.  So I finished those up today.  The weekend didn't really lend itself to much work in the studio.  Mark and I got involved Saturday cleaning out the rest of the boxes from our move - they were driving us nuts!  It's only been 6 weeks, so we didn't think that was tooooo bad, but it was definitely time.  That and general domestic duties took up most of the day.  The house looks sooo much better!   

So this is my enameling set-up.  Pretty sweet.




And here is a photo of this round of enamels. 


They still have to be filed and then fitted with earwires and findings, but the hard part is done.  Actually, it's really not that hard, it's pretty fun, just time-consuming.  You just have to know how each enamel reacts in the kiln and with the pickle (the chemical bath that is used to clean dirt and firescale off the metal) and how to treat it.  All that just comes with experience. 

Then comes photography.  That will probably happen tomorrow, so I can use the nice morning light.  I usually prefer natural light for photographing enamels because the colors come out the truest that way.   This actually isn't bad color-wise, but the reflections from the flash are no good.  Another thing I like about natural light: no flash.  One of these days I'll make a nice photo booth.  Until then...

I'm off to file disc edges now... Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment